Surrounded by vineyards lies this old palace emanating
more than 400 years of history.
The Counts of Lodron settle in the Lagarina Valley.
From this moment on they play a crucial part in the ever-changing history of the region.
The Palazzo Lodron is constructed on existing building walls.
Count Nicolò Lodron is the first owner to reconstruct the existing buildings. His life-size portrait stands in the nook above the main entrance.
Inauguration of the newly built palace with the chapel.
Construction continues through 1628 when Santino Solari, commissioned by Paris Lodron, then Prince Archbishop of Salzburg, adds the private family chapel.
Mozart visits Rovereto on his way to Italy.
The young musician delights and inspires his audience in several palaces of the trading town.
The Volpini de Maestri family opens the palace for public events.
The descendants of the counts of Lodron go to great lengths to maintain and renovate this historic place.
MOZART AND THE LODRON FAMILY
Due to the vicinity of the Palace Lodron and Mozart's house in Salzburg, the two families knew each other quite well. Wolfgang Amadeus and his sister Nannerl gave piano lessons to Count Lodron's children. Mozart's concert for three pianos (KV 242) was written for Antonia Countess Lodron and her two daughters Aloisia and Josepha. The piece takes the young girls talents into account. Two Divertimenti, better known under the name Lodron'sche Nachtmusiken (Lodron Night Music) were dedicated to Countess Antonia, who sponsored and supported him.
On his journey to Italy the young composer stayed in Rovereto and paid visits to countless noble families where he played for an enthusiastic audience. This period is documented in his opera: Don Giovanni orders Leporello to serve a well known local wine: "Versa il vino! Eccellente Marzemino! ..."
PARIS LODRON, PRINCE ARCHBISHOP OF SALZBURG
The best known member of the Lodron family is Count Paris, who was Prince Archbishop of Salzburg from 1619 to 1653.
He was born in 1586 in Castel Noarna (or Castelnuovo) situated above the village of Nogaredo in the Lagarina Valley. Paris Lodron left home to study for the priesthood. After being called to Salzburg by his uncle Antonio Lodron, he became a distinguished cathedral provost.
In 1619 he was elected prince archbishop at the age of 33. The difficult state of affairs at the time, particularly during the Thirty Years' War, demanded great political wisdom and diplomatic abilities. Paris Lodron managed to keep Salzburg out of this conflict in spite of massive intervention on the part of the Emperor and the King of Bavaria. He had the city fortified "like a tortoise shell" by the court architect Santino Solari. Therefore Salzburg even managed to fend off the army of the Swedish King, Gustav Adolf. Solari was also commissioned with the reconstruction of the cathedral, which was consecrated amidst the turmoil of war.
At all times Paris Lodron was attached to his home in the Lagarina Valley. He commissioned Santino Solari to design and adapt a chapel in the existing building in Nogaredo and to add the south wing, giving the Palazzo Lodron its present shape. The architectural resemblance to the Residenz Palace in Salzburg, as well as Hellbrunn Castle (also by Solari) is all too obvious.
The Prince who had a deep concern for the welfare of his country died on December 15th, 1653 and was buried in the Salzburg Cathedral.